TD fails to open on Win 8 after Updates

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Rodney Fry

TD fails to open on Win 8 after Updates

Post by Rodney Fry » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:10 pm

This is just a brief query and perhaps a cautionary tale! I have been having trouble with a Win 8 Pro, 64-bit, laptop following updates. All programs have run OK with past Windows "Important Updates" installed. However, I decided to check whether MS Disk Clean-up and Auslogics Defragmenter should be run after many months following Windows important updates in mid-February.
This caused some problems on subsequently trying to open TreeDraw and my email client PegasusMail. If I opened PMail from re-boot all was OK, but not from Hibernate. In either case TD did not fully open, just a blank TD window plus a blank Chart Control window, and a small message window stating "TreeDraw has stopped working - A problem caused the programe to stop working. Windows....will notify you if a solution is available", and then closed TD.

I tried running SFC [System File Checker]; this found some 6 files corrupted and not repaired. I searched the web for answers. I noticed some discussions saying that some Windows updates can be corrupt and cause problems, others said run SFC at least three times to clear problems. After a few days trying to sort this (and my local computer shop suggesting I just install Win 10!), I decided to try a Windows Restore. Fortunately all my data is in a separate partition or a physical HD to the system drive C:\. I did a restore back to early February before the problems began. This took an hour. The laptop has now been rebooted and also re-started from Hibernate. Except for TDraw everything seems to be back to normal.

My desktop Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, also had a problem with the same windows updates and system procedures just after carrying them out on my laptop, although only with the email client - I should have waited to check the laptop behaviour first! I ran SFC /SCANNOW on this machine and everything seemed OK with email and TD.

My query to all this is should I try uninstalling TDraw on the Win 8 laptop through Control Panel and re-install? The data is separate so I should still be OK.

I notice the last reply in the recent thread "New Windows 8 Computer" suggests never to buy another Windows computer - perhaps I should follow this!

Rodney

Nick Hunter

Re: TD fails to open on Win 8 after Updates

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:34 am

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you have been having problems with TreeDraw.
You can uninstall and reinstall TreeDraw at any time. After reinstalling you might have to use "Help | Register" to enter your serial number and key.

Rodney Fry

Re: TD fails to open on Win 8 after Updates

Post by Rodney Fry » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:22 pm

Thanks, Nick, for confirmation. All is OK following procedure.
Rodney