PDF Files blank

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Marlene

PDF Files blank

Post by Marlene » Fri May 30, 2014 4:24 am

I have a one page manually created chart (that is no links to any underlying data set). When I print to PDF I only get the date bottom right and the rest of the page is blank. The page has previously been selected for printing. If I Export to pdf, some of the text is missing at the top - no pattern as why some and not the rest.

I have Adobe Acrobat XI Pro installed.
Can anyone help, please?

Marlene

Nick Hunter

Re: PDF Files blank

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri May 30, 2014 8:45 am

Hi,
Please mail the TreeDraw chart file you are using (the .TDR file) and the PDF file exported from TreeDraw to support@spansoft.org and we will take a look at it.

Marlene

Post by Marlene » Sat May 31, 2014 12:31 am

Thank you . I have sent the files as requested.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat May 31, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi,

Thank you for sending us your files.

The problem appears to be happening because much of the text in your TreeDraw chart has no colour associated with it. Please open the TreeDraw colour palette and select any text element which is missing from the PDF file. Then click on the black square on the palette to set the text's colour to black. http://treedraw.spansoft.org/manual/html/palette.php

I'm not sure why so many of the text elements have no colour.

If you are using non-standard fonts in your chart, you should also select "Options | Fonts mode | Embed TrueType fonts" when you export the PDF file from TreeDraw.

Marlene

Post by Marlene » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:21 am

Thats an unusual problem! I've been creating the text boxes by simply selecting the New Text button on the tool bar and proceeding. I like to use Arial Narrow for my charts, and although I set this as the default it doesn't stay a default so I often copy and paste and existing text box to minimise the work in the changing fonts etc. I noticed when I looked at the top black text box, its format was set to Custom - not a conscious choice all this text was copied and pasted (then rearranged) from the text on the previous pages. So I changed only that one text box to black, then went to Print (rather than Export) and it worked perfectly!
My defaults are currently set at Arial Narrow 8 Black but a new text box goes to Arial Regular 8 Black. There is no Options | Fonts Mode | Embed True Type Fonts on my version. (TreeDraw Legacy Edition 4.2.2)
Thanks very much for your quick reply and a solution. :D