Show ALL the tree, is it possible

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

bluejay

Show ALL the tree, is it possible

Post by bluejay » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:16 am

Not having used treeview much I sent one to family and a tdr file, but more info was required so tried to get the whole tree sent to view.A GED file with all details, It appears you can only select one member and either anscestral or decendant of that person, therefore any branches get left out , so cousins , sisters etc do not appear.
Is there a way of showing ALL the tree?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 pm

It is possible to create a chart containing everyone in a family tree. To accomplish this you would have to import several descendant trees into the same TreeDraw chart and manually rearrange the various branches, adding lines and/or removing duplicate people. Each imported branch would start at a different ancestor and you can limit the duplications by reducing the number of generations imported for subsequent branches.

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:11 pm

It is sometimes useful in these situations to start out by generating an Ancestor chart for the youngest person in the database. In that way you will normally identify all (or almost all) the "end" ancestors from whom each descendant tree must be drawn.

Regards,
Graham

Desmond Darby

Post by Desmond Darby » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:24 am

I was wondering if it may not be easier to add some fake ancestors (Fake1, Fake2, etc) to Legacy in the older generations to make the entire tree appear to have descended from a single ancestor. Then one would plot his/her Descendant Tree with TreeDraw, and then delete all the Fake people.

My underlying thinking is that
(1) deleting the unwanted "Fake" graphics objects is easier than adding/drawing wanted graphics objects.
(2) Legacy's Pedigree views make it easy to see where to add Fakes for people whose parents we do not know
(3) in theory, if we allow "incestuous" marriages amongst these Fake people we should not need too many Fake individuals to get everybody "related".

I have yet to try any of this out myself. It's just a thought. Any comments?

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:25 am

That's an interesting suggestion Desmond.

Although Legacy is one of the many programs we have I'm not all that familiar with it's features - I've used Brothers Keeper for my own data since the old DOS days. Possibly users of programs other than Legacy may not be able to view pedigrees in the same way.

So I think it might turn out to become more complex than the "normal" method described by Nick. I'd be very interested in your findings when you do have time to try it though.

Regards,
Graham

Sawday

Post by Sawday » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:49 pm

There has to be an easier way to print the WHOLE file, I have 29 of my 32 direct ancestors at 5 generations back and 12 at the sixth generation. That's an awful lot of manipulation required to show everyone on one chart.

It's surely not that strange a request. Has no one come across an easier way to acheive this? Anyone???

Garfy

Me Too!!

Post by Garfy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:30 pm

I totally agree with the fact that there is a need for the ability to be able to print the entire family tree. I am part of a community group that investigates trees for individuals and we wish that life could be made lot easier than fiddling around with joins or putting in fake people and then deleting them. We are talking about lots and lots of people wanting their family trees done, and less and less time being available to put them together correctly. I purchased TreeDraw hoping it would do this, but no....

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:43 pm

There are programs which generate All In One charts but IMHO the results are awful. Either the data is all over the place or there are crossing lines or both.

To a great extent it isn't the programmer's fault as it's very difficult to cater for all the different sets of family relationships which need to be dealt with.

It might take more effort to produce the chart using TreeDraw but, as far as I'm concerned, the end result is far superior to anything other programs produce.

Regards,
graham