Generation limit of 4 for Ancestral Tree and Wheel Chart

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Desmond Darby

Generation limit of 4 for Ancestral Tree and Wheel Chart

Post by Desmond Darby » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:30 am

Even though my Legacy database contains up to 6 generations including myself, I find that the Ancestral Tree and Wheel Chart each only plot 4 generations. I have tried both the "All" and "6 generations" options on importing the Legacy data. Descendant trees plot fine. What is the problem?
This is my first day with TreeDraw. (Win2k, TreeDraw 3.03, Legacy Deluxe 6.0.0.73)

Thanks

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:12 pm

Have you tried selecting different root people with "Generations" set to "All"? For example, if you select a root person one generation further back do you then get only 3 generations imported? If so, then it suggests that there is a break in the Legacy data somewhere at your fourth generation.

Desmond Darby

Post by Desmond Darby » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:10 pm

I tried that, and sure enough, by choosing a parent of my original key person as a new key peson, only 3 generations get plotted! So yes there is a "break" in the chain, but seemingly only in that direction. As I said before, the Descendant Tree is plotted correctly right from the earliest generation.

Given that Legacy charts work fine, and Tree Draw Descendant Trees look fine, what I am I to do? Is it my Legacy data entry that is done wrong, or a Legacy/TreeDraw programming glitch?

Thanks

Desmond Darby

Post by Desmond Darby » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:17 pm

Hi Nick

I have found my own answer! For some reason the earliest husband and wife plotted each had more than one set of parents in Legacy! The husband had 3 sets, one set reasonably named and the others were couples each named "Unknown". The wife had 2 sets, one reasonably named, and the other couple each named "Unknown". I expect TreeDraw was confused by the multiple sets of parents!

On reflection, I think this came about because I started building my Legacy database without knowing much about how it worked and invented "Unknown" as a sort of name place-holder. Then I discovered a relative had done lots of work, so I imported her PAF data via a Gedcom file, but clearly I never identified my naively created "Unknown"s with her real people.

It all goes to show what software-users get up to! Anyway, thanks for your super-prompt earlier response, and we may disregard my earlier response to it.

BTW, this Forum is a very nice one to use (feel, appearance, utility, etc).

Thanks heaps