Inability to Update Text in the Tree

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Rodney Fry

Inability to Update Text in the Tree

Post by Rodney Fry » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:31 pm

I raised a query back on Dec 10, 2011 ...... about updating texts when more than one reference is made to the database. I didn't manage to sort this problem and put it to one side whilst I added items to my databases. Running Win XP Pro SP3 & KKP 3.2.1.

Having installed the new version of TD v 4.1 I still find that text updating is not apparently working. I had thought initially that this was because looking at Options\Preferences and tab Import Fields I noticed the current database was shown as GEDCOM. I corrected this to look at the database DURHAM2010Dec on my RAID disc G:\KKPro3Data23Dec2012.

I then went to Import Profiles highlighted Default and clicked Save. This put the Default file name into Loaded Profile slot. I then closed the dialogue window and saved TD.

Re-opening TD I then checked the database was still correctly assigned to DURHAM2010Dec - it was not, and indicated GEDCOM once more, why? I made a couple of deliberate name changes in this database (which showed immediately in the KKP tree layout diagram)

I then tried TD Edit\Update Text. Nothing changed in the text.

Do you have any suggestions, Nick? Have I missed a setting somewhere? Thanks for any help.

Nick Hunter

Re: Inability to Update Text in the Tree

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:50 am

Hi,
"Options | Preferences | Import fields | Current database" does not affect the current chart and is only there to allow you to select fields for future imports.
The settings you need for the current chart are in "File | Linked databases".

Rodney Fry

Re: Inability to Update Text in the Tree

Post by Rodney Fry » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the Options\Preferences because I was aware of the File\Linked databases needing to be correctly assigned - they were, but to no avail. This was basically my problem described in my forum message of Dec 10, 2011.

I have some 34 databases for family groups in various counties. Most are associated with their own Tree. The linked databases vary between 1 and 4 (I think because I have imported new groups of families). I have checked half a dozen or so of the TD files and none will update the text, even with the correct linked database. The blue progress bar appears at the bottom of the TD window showing it apparently checking the database for changes, but nothing happens?

I have tried the TD v3.2.5, which is still installed in a different folder and this gives the same problem of inability to update text.

If I draw a new tree with using one of the KKP databases that apparently doesn't update text, then now the tree text will update. I can open this v3.2.1 file with TD v4.1 and it also shows the text update working.

If I make a new tree with TD v4.1 then it seems that the Text\Update function works. There seems to be something stopping my present installation of either TD version interfacing to the databases with archived TD files.

It suddenly occurred to me to check the folder properties whilst trying these KKP/TD files as I remember warnings about "Read Only" being automatically set in making a CD.

What did I find, but all my KKP database folders properties were set with the Read Only greyed out, but Archive and Hidden tick boxes empty! I generated some TEMP folders (to avoid possible corruption) for a couple of KKP and TD files and reset the properties to Archive (although Read Only still showed as greyed out?). I then changed the linked databases in TD to the new TEMP folders. This time when I made text changes in the databases they were shown in the TD tree - at last!

I then went through all the 30+ database folders and the containing folder and made sure Archive was ticked - although Read Only is still greyed out - I don't understand this?

I don't know why all the KKP folders had their properties set like this. I do not recall transferring the folders from a CD in the past, but just updating the files with the new KKP versions as needed.

Could I ask, Nick, if the database folder path can be inserted in the blue title bar in KKP, just as it is in TD? I think the problem is solved, but how it was initiated I don't know.

Rodney Fry