TreeDraw 4 Fails Spectacularly

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Chris Thompson

TreeDraw 4 Fails Spectacularly

Post by Chris Thompson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:10 pm

When starting up Tree Draw 4 after fresh install on Win 7.
Windows "Boing!"; blank screen, except for a small window with a dialog box and a non-functioning Close Window button. Only escape is to close app with Task Manager. Not very promising.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with TreeDraw.

The program may be corrupt. Please try uninstalling TreeDraw V4 then clear your browser cache and download TreeDraw V4 again from http://treedraw.spansoft.org and reinstall.

Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Nick Hunter wrote:Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with TreeDraw.

The program may be corrupt. Please try uninstalling TreeDraw V4 then clear your browser cache and download TreeDraw V4 again from http://treedraw.spansoft.org and reinstall.
All tried.

Same results.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi,

Since we have not come across this problem before, there may be some other software or setting on your PC interfering with TreeDraw. Please try disabling your anti-virus software for example.

Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Nick Hunter wrote:Hi,

Since we have not come across this problem before, there may be some other software or setting on your PC interfering with TreeDraw. Please try disabling your anti-virus software for example.
I will try later with a freshly re-booted PC and non-essentials shut down. Thanks.

harryg

Post by harryg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi Nick,
I am having the same problem as Chris, I emailed my problems to you but sadly were unresolved. Treedraw 4 (the same download) works fine on my other computer which has windows 7 32 bit system.
Tried the windows trouble shooter and still not working.
Now back to Treedraw 3

Chris Thompson

Retried Same Results

Post by Chris Thompson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:37 pm

I've re-booted with a clean system and get the same results- white screen.
I have a fairly generic 64 bit Win 7 install which is completely up-to-date with all updates and patches, et cetera, so I am, sorry to say, stumped. :shock:

harryg

Post by harryg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi Chris,
Having the same problem, as in my previous post.
My old computer has Windows7 32 bit but is Professional Edition whilst my new computer is only the Home edition,
I looked on the Microsoft site for a solution and on there is a method to get programs that will work on 32 bit to work on 64 bit, but the method will not work with the Home Edition of Windows 7. Perhaps this is why the Treedraw V4 program, works on my old computer.
Maybe Treedraw V4 will not work on Windows 7 64bit and may need a bug fix, but I can assure you, Treedraw V3 Does.

rossm

Post by rossm » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:58 pm

I know that this doesn't help resolve your problem, but I have no problems at all running Treedraw 4 on 64-bit Windows 7 Professional

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi,

We have tested TreeDraw V4 on Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition and we are unable to reproduce this error.

Since TreeDraw V4 shares the same settings file "TreeDraw.ini" with the old V3 TreeDraw, I'm wondering if a particular setting could be the cause. You could try renaming the TreeDraw.ini file (which is in C:\ProgramData\TreeDraw). This will force TreeDraw V4 to create a new default settings file.

If this does help, please send us the original TreeDraw.ini file for examination.

harryg

Post by harryg » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi Nick,
Tried renaming the Treedraw file as requested and it still fails, but this time the program begins to load, as the familiar green treee on parchment appears for a couple of seconds which it didn't do before. Will email file.
Harry Gladson

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi,

This issue appears to manifest only when TreeDraw opens with a maximized main window. We are not sure why yet, since it does work on most PCs.

A workaround is to edit the C:\ProgramData\TreeDraw.ini file as follows:
Find the section "[Window]" and modify the line "Maximized=Y" to "Maximized=N". Save the file and restart TreeDraw.

harryg

Post by harryg » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Sorry for the delay.
I changed the Treedraw.ini file from y to n and hey presto, everything works.
Thanks.
Harry Gladson