questions on TreeDraw V4

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

wbloos

questions on TreeDraw V4

Post by wbloos » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:50 pm

I have two questions:

- is TreeDraw V4 also available as Legacy Edition? (by now Legacy only offers V3.1) - if available will there be a upgrade offer too?

- is the PDF bug exporting full sized imageges with many pictures fixed in V4 ? (TreeDraw V3 cancels exporting PDFs with full size images when including many images in the tree)

thanks
Werner

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:47 am

Hi,

TreeDraw Legacy Edition V4 will be released when Legacy V8 is available later this year. From what we understand from Millennia, there may be a fundamental change in the Legacy database structure which will make V8 not backwards-compatible with TreeDraw V3, ie. only V4 will work with Legacy V8 and V4 won't work with earlier Legacy versions. There will be an upgrade discount offer.

TreeDraw V4 includes the latest PDF export version and DLL file WPDF300A.DLL which was updated 12/2011. However, the documentation does not mention a problem with exporting a large amount of image data. Perhaps you could download TreeDraw Standard Edition V4 to see if it has the same problem.

wbloos

Post by wbloos » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Hello Nick,

thanks for the informations abiout TreeDraw Legacy edition
Perhaps you could download TreeDraw Standard Edition V4 to see if it has the same problem.
Well I tried this but the demo version cant load the old 3.xx files except I register it. I have both, the standard Tree Draw version as well as the TreeDraw Legacy edition V3 registered - but it does not make sense for me to upgrade the stsandard version just for thesting the PDF export option since I use Legacy as my primary genealogy software. For testing this I would need to create a new tree which includes more than 250 pictures - and I would need to import each picture separate...

greetings
Werner

wbloos

Post by wbloos » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Hello Nick,

I just tried to replace wpdf300a.dll with the one from 19Dez-2011 unsing TreeDraw 3.1x (legacy edition) - when using the new version of this DLL I get perfect output with preview images, when trying to generate a PDF with full size images Treedraw now doesnt crash any more giving a memory error (there is no error at all - exporting seems to work from the progress bar at the bottom of the window), but the PDF is totally empty - only the page size is correct.

greetings
Werner

wbloos

Post by wbloos » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 pm

I just upgraded to TreeDraw V4 - and exporting a large tree with about 250 images at full size ends up as my previous tests with V3.x and updated wPDF file with an EMPTY PDF file - so it seems wPDF is not able to export a PDF file which includes full sized images - what shall I do now? I have a large family tree and I cant print it since I cannot output the PDF with full sized images...

Werner

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:28 am

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this. We will look into it.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:50 am

Hi,

Can you please tells us the size in bytes of the TDR file which has your 250 pictures?

Thanks.

wbloos

Post by wbloos » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 am

Hello Nick,

the TDR file is 8,7MB large. When exporting a PDF with preview images I get a PDF file at about 6,6 MBytes

If you are interested in the TDR file or the PDF file I can send it via PM or upload it to one of my servers and give you the download link to these files.

greetings
Werner

wbloos

Post by wbloos » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 am

by the way: the printed tree is 4,7m wide and 0,8m in height

What I want to do is let it print on a A0 endless paper in a print shop - therefore I need to export this single page as a PDF file including high resolution pictures - the preview images are of too low quality to be printed.

greetings
Werner

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi,

We have isolated what is causing this problem and it will be fixed in TreeDraw V4.0.2. However, TreeDraw Legacy Edition is still not available and there is no indication from Millennia about the release date of Legacy V8.

wbloos

Re: questions on TreeDraw V4

Post by wbloos » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:17 am

We have isolated what is causing this problem and it will be fixed in TreeDraw V4.0.2.
thanks Nick, I just updated my TreeDraw V4 version to 4.03 and it works exporting large trees with many images in full size to a PDF file.

I noticed that the new version offers a image quality option for the images - when I select 'no compression' I get a PDF file at about 500MB, when selecting 100% compression I get a PDF file of the same tree of only 54MB
How does TreeDraw handle the images?
- with option 'no compression' are the images embedded to the PDF as uncompressed RGB images?
- with option 100% does TreeDraw recompress all images to JPEG with 100% JPEG image quality?
However, TreeDraw Legacy Edition is still not available and there is no indication from Millennia about the release date of Legacy V8.
Thats not a big problem since V4 is able to load the V3 .tdr files so I use V4 only for PDF output all other tree changes (including importing images from Legacy) are done with the V3 Legacy version.

greetings
Werner

Nick Hunter

Re: questions on TreeDraw V4

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:43 am

Hi,

The images in TreeDraw are stored as bitmaps irrespective of the original image format. When you export them to a PDF file with "No compression" they are stored as bitmaps in the PDF file. When you export them to a PDF file with 100% quality they are JPEG compressed but with no quality loss.