Same sex marriages

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Ujantz

Same sex marriages

Post by Ujantz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:20 pm

Hello - I'm new to the forum and apologize for not having read all postings and possibly having overlooked an answer to my problem.
Treedraw V4 appear to discard "spouses'" names in same sex "marriages" - can I avoid this in the current version? If not, will I be able to do so in future updates?

Best regards, Ulrik Jantzen, Denmark

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:30 am

Hi,

Are you importing your data from a GEDCOM file? If so, this is what the GEDCOM 5.5 Standard says about HUSB/WIFE tags: "The family record structure assumes that the HUSB/father is male and WIFE/mother is female." This implies that GEDCOM does not support same sex marriages. From a genealogy point of view, the partners in a same sex marriage are not the parents of the child anyway.

Ujantz

Post by Ujantz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Thank you for your reply and yes you are correct, I import data from a Gedcom file.
It is to be regretted that the Gedcom standard does not accomodate real life occurences - in Denmark same sex marriages or so-called registered partnerships have been legal for the last 25 years or so.
Genealogically one of the parties often is in fact a parent. Previously it was not uncommon for homosexuals to marry one of opposite sex and produce offspring and later when laws permitted, brake off such a (pro forma) marriage and enter into a same sex relationship.
In near future if not already, it will be possible for homosexuals to adopt and I for one do not wish to specify a parent-child relationship as one based on adoption even if I know that to be the case.
I would therefore argue that an option in your program to allow same sex relationships is called for. Such a device strictly speaking does not violate Gedcom 5.5 as TreeDraw does not export Gedcom-files. On the other hand falsifying a person's sex og discarding the person altogether is clearly offensive to the persons so treated.

Best regards, UJ

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 am

Ujantz wrote:(snip)
I would therefore argue that an option in your program to allow same sex relationships is called for. Such a device strictly speaking does not violate Gedcom 5.5 as TreeDraw does not export Gedcom-files. On the other hand falsifying a person's sex og discarding the person altogether is clearly offensive to the persons so treated.

Best regards, UJ
Is it not the case that the solution to this requirement lies with the Gedcom standard rather than TreeDraw?

As I understand it TreeDraw simply imports the data which is in the Gedcom file. If the Gedcom standard does not support same sex relationships that precludes any option within TreeDraw doesn't it?

Regards,
Graham

jayrae

Re: Same sex marriages

Post by jayrae » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:14 am

I've got one union like this which didn't import the partners name. I've checked the GEDCOM 5.5 file I have and the names of both are in there and they are linked in a family.

It's possible that Treedraw is dropping the name because the individual is attached to the WIFE tag but their sex is set to M. Would be nice if it just ignored the mismatch and put the name in anyway, as it drew a line to nowhere on the chart.