Upgrade to V4

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

tonybushell

Upgrade to V4

Post by tonybushell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:43 pm

I have upgraded to V4, and can open it. But I cannot open my data files transferred from my old PC where they were in V2.
I have two TreeDraw documents that may both be remnants of V2: Treedraw Data, 17.8MB, incl sample.ged and sample.tdr. and Treedraw Data, 16.8MB. The latter contains all the family trees I want to put into V4. I have one file which may also be a problem:TreeDraw.msi, 4.75MB, Installer Package. Which of these three needs to be deleted to allow me to get my family trees into V4?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi,

Please follow the instructions in your order confirmation email:

"Your registration details are:
Serial number:
Key:
Enter them exactly as shown using the \"Help | Register\" command
after installing TreeDraw V4"

This will allow you to open your old chart files.

TreeDraw.msi is the Windows installer package which you downloaded. You do not need this file after you have installed TreeDraw.

tonybushell

TreeDraw 4

Post by tonybushell » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:39 pm

Nick,
Don't think you could have had my reply to this.
I registered as you indicayted and was able to open a few charts, albeit with much of the names etc truncated. But having opened a few I then started getting the message again:cannot open v.2.2.1
Tony.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:43 am

Hi,

There is nothing special you need to do to open V2 or V3 files in TreeDraw V4 as long as you have registered the software by entering your serial number and registration key. Please use "Help | About" - if it shows your serial number then the software is registered; if not then use "Help | Register".

tonybushell

TreeDraw 4

Post by tonybushell » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Nick,
I have registered TreeDraw4 and that is confirmed when I try to do so again.
Attempts to open V2 or V3 files are still met with the message: Could not open a V2/V3 file.
When I close TreeDraw4 I get a message: Cannot create file "C:\ProgramData\TreeDraw\TreeDraw.ini". Access is denied
Changes to your options/settings have not been saved.
Can you elaborate please?
Tony

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi,

Are you finding that TreeDraw is not staying registered between sessions? That would indicate a permissions problem in the system registry.

Please see the following post regarding your TreeDraw.ini access problem: http://spansoft.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=461

tonybushell

Post by tonybushell » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:31 pm

I did both 1 and 2 of your suggested solution, twice, and neither worked. Decided to go right back to the beginning and found under About TD4 that I was still not registered, although I had been through the process at least twice. So I registered again and can now open all my TD files. But I still have two problems:
1. The text in all my TD files is truncated with the last few letters/digits of every entry missing. How do I solve this?
2. Should I be concerned about my option settings which I presumably deleted in solution 2?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi,

The truncated text can be fixed by resizing each of the text elements. It's due to a change that was made when TreeDraw V3 was released way back in 2004.

If you deleted the options file TreeDraw.ini then all of the settings will have been reset to the defaults.

tonybushell

Post by tonybushell » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Nick,
Resize each piece of text? Which of course moving most of it too. Isn't there a quicker way?
Tony.