Brilliant

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

jhunt02

Brilliant

Post by jhunt02 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Well I've just tried out V4 and had to register it immediately - you've done it again! The line-joining feature is superb, both for manual joining and on imported charts. This will make it much easier to adjust charts in the future.

I wonder if it's possible to manually join a line end with another line end (as opposed to joining a line end to an entire line)? In the help-file paragraph starting with "A special case..." (in the topic on joining lines), you describe the behavior that happens when one line end is joined to another line end, such that both lines can be stretched simultaneously; I can only observe this behavior in imported charts (with the "join lines" option checked), whereas I have not been able to manually join lines in this way.

In any case, congratulations again on a great piece of software!

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi,

Thank you!

Do you have the "Snap to grid" switched on when placing lines for joining manually? The two line ends must be at exactly the same point for the "special case" dragging to work.

jhunt02

Joining line ends

Post by jhunt02 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:11 pm

That did it. Many thanks!

jhunt02

Feature request: Automatic back-joining of lines upon import

Post by jhunt02 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:16 pm

When importing trees with the "Join lines" option selected, one end of the shorter lines for each sibling is automatically joined to the longer line which connects those siblings. It would be helpful if the two ends of the longer line were also joined to their respective "end-point" sibling lines (i.e. the leftmost and rightmost sibling lines for a vertically extended chart, or the topmost and bottommost sibling lines for a horizontally extended chart). In this way it would be possible to select the end-point sibling and line and then drag them such that the longer line would also be extended or shortened. Currently, in order to achieve the same effect, it is necessary either to manually back-join the longer line to the sibling line before dragging, or to perform two drag operations.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi,

It certainly looks possible since you can achieve this effect by joining the ends of the long line to the end sibling lines manually.

We will check if there are any ramifications of joining a line to a line already joined to it and if not it should be simple to do the joins automatically.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi,

This was implemented in V4.0.2