Updating Text and Amending the Linked Database

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Rodney Fry

Updating Text and Amending the Linked Database

Post by Rodney Fry » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:20 pm

I have a query on the Linking of Databases with KKP 3.1.3 and TD v3.2.5 for Updating Text [I'm using on my main Win XP PRo PC a RAID pair of discs showing as G:\, my standby PC uses Win 98 with a number of HDDs of which F: & H: are two].

I am trying to Update Text from the RAID drive which is
G:\KKPro3Data28Feb2010\FRY_BALD
However, the sub window from clicking on File\ Linked Databases... lists three drives
F:\Kith&KinPro\Data\KentFRY_BALD (237)
H:\Kith&KinPro\Data\KentFRY_BALD (29)
G:\KKPro3Data28Feb2010\FRY_BALD (16)

I think the TD may have been generated from an earlier version of KKP, probably 3.1.2 from the folder title of TD "G:\TreeDraw from KKP v312 databases". In this window I don't seem to be able to delete from the list the two drives F: and H:

Updating the text doesn't seem to do anything unless I bring a small portion of the database into the tree, make a change to the imported data in KKP and update text, when that works - it could be that the sub-window shows only 16 text elements linked rather than all the database elements for the file in F:\..... which appears to have 237.

If I go to Options\Preferences tab Import Fields, I am showing a GEDCOM database, rather than the G:\.. database. If I click on browse and now select the FRY_BALD database file in G:\KKPro3Data28Feb2010, then click OK and close the dialogue window nothing seems to happen with Update Text. If I close TD and then re-open TD the database has gone back to GEDCOM, not the correct path to G:\ - why?

So my queries are
1. How do I remove the F:\... and H:\... database links from the subwindow leaving only G:\?
2. How do I make the tree link to all the elements in the G:\... not just 16?

I've looked through the Help file under database links, but there is nothing obvious to me. There was a query on "Update Text - Unreliable" by JohnB back in Feb, but this doesn't seem to apply.

Thanks for any advice.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:09 am

Hi,

Both your questions are answered by the Help topic "Changing the K&KPro database link names".

Replace both the F:\ and H:\ database names with the G:\ database name in "File | Linked databases".

To change a database path, click on the database in the list that you want to change and then type the new path into "Replace this database with" or click on the Browse button to select the new path. Click on the Replace button to execute the change. The Replace button will not be enabled unless the new path points to a valid Kith and Kin Pro database.

All the text elements in the current chart which were previously linked to the old database will now be linked to the new database. Using "Edit | Update text" or when the chart file is next opened with the Auto-update option will cause all these text elements to be updated from the new chart.

Rodney Fry

Post by Rodney Fry » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Nick.

I did spot the process for replacing the file pathnames, but I didn't try that as I thought I needed to delete the F: and H: drive paths which are not on the main PC.

Anyhow I have done the replacement as suggested. This now leaves me with three paths showing
G:\KKPro3Data28Feb2010\FRY_BALD (233)
G:\KKPro3Data28Feb2010\FRY_BALD (24)
G:\KKPro3Data28Feb2010\FRY_BALD (16)

Does this mean I must keep all three listed as the number of text elements linked - given in the brackets - are necessary for all elements (273 in total) to be linked? The answer seems to be 'yes' as I cannot see how to delete a path as there is no delete button?

Rodney Fry

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:14 am

Hi,

That's right - there is no way of merging the 3 paths together but it should work the way you have it now.