Possible to print an entire Geni tree?

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

bdinerman

Possible to print an entire Geni tree?

Post by bdinerman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to print the ENTIRE tree from geni.com? I have TreeDraw and am not sure if it is possible to either import everything (including photos) or to print all entries (distant cousins, ex-spouses, etc).

My goal is to make a large poster.

Thank you,
Brad..

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 pm

I don't know how geni.com works but I assume it is possible to export a Gedcom file. If that is the case then the information it contains can be read by TreeDraw. You may have to import & merge a number of ancestor/descendant trees but it is certainly possible to create a composite chart such as you describe (we do it all the time).

However, the Gedcom standard does not allow transfer of photos. You would have to leave spaces as appropriate in your composite chart and import the photos individually - not a difficult job.

The other consideration is that geni.com (and I don't know for certain because I don't know the web site) may store some information which it cannot export via Gedcom. You would need to check.

Graham