Date range issues & code numbers

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Mike Hutchinson

Date range issues & code numbers

Post by Mike Hutchinson » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:24 am

I have returned to TDR recently after soem years and am struggling with two issues. I use GEDCOMs exported from Brothers Keeper.

(a) How can I get the imported names to drop the prefixed code numbers [123]?

(b) When I have an event date as a range, how can I get it just to report the
year instead of the full form of "BETWEEN xx.xx.xxxx AND zz.zz.zzzz"

Nick Hunter

Deleting P codes

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:35 am

Hi,

1) Please use "Options | Preferences | Import fields" and delete the "[P<Code>]" from the "Name" and "Childs name" data types and delete " [F<Code>]" from the "Marriage details" data type.

2) TreeDraw does not recognize date ranges so I suspect that it is simply importing the date as a string as it finds it in the GEDCOM file. The problem will be that Brothers Keeper is exporting it in the form "BETWEEN xx.xx.xxxx AND zz.zz.zzzz" which is not valid GEDCOM. All I can suggest is that you edit these strings in TreeDraw after you have imported the tree.

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:41 pm

I agree with Nick. I've been using BK since the DOS days and TreeDraw since version 1.

One of the things I like about BK is that it is a lot more tolerant of non-standard data entries than other programs and one of the things I like about TreeDraw is that it is flexible enough to import non-standard stuff which some programs will just reject without any explanation.

Having the information there to edit is a lot easier than having to re-input the information in a way that conforms with the charting program's foibles.

Graham

Mike Hutchinson

Post by Mike Hutchinson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:48 pm

I have asked John Steed at Brothers Keeper if he can add an option to edit date ranges to the single year on expert to GEDCOM. He is looking at it.