Exporting Metafiles- right-hand side of tree not included

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

doclee

Exporting Metafiles- right-hand side of tree not included

Post by doclee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Every time that I have exported a tree as a metafile, it is curtailed at the right-hand end if the tree is significantly longer in the X-axis than the Y-axis, or along the bottom if it is significantly longer in the Y-axis. Between 5 & 15% of the tree is missing.

Additionally, if the horizontally curtailed tree is viewed with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer it is jammed up against the right-hand margin of the viewing area, occupying only about 20% of the available horizontal space.

If the X and Y-axes are roughly the same, as occurs when a tree is a snug fit for landscape A4 size, the tree is cut off both on the right and along the bottom. In this case the tree occupies the whole of the available viewing area in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

The curtailment of the tree is present no matter which programme is used to view the metafile.

The problem cannot be due to the the tree being too big as it occurs whether the X-axis of the tree is over 5000 or is only about 1000.

What can be done to ensure that the metafile includes the whole tree?

doclee

Metafiles - Solution of one problem & a "fix"

Post by doclee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 am

The reason that the tree was jammed up against the right-hand margin became apparent when I highlighted the tree with ctrl>A at a magnification of about 1%. This highlighted something far to the left of the tree. When the highlighting was removed there was nothing visible at that spot even at 400%. Deleting everything in that area has now cured that problem.

To prevent the tree being pruned at the bottom or at the right-hand end, I've put objects (actually a very short line) beyond the right-hand end of the tree and below the tree. The bit that is now pruned only contains the objects and empty space. Not a cure of the underlying problem but a "fix". :D