Legacy TreeDraw 3 - Events import

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Ian Sayer

Legacy TreeDraw 3 - Events import

Post by Ian Sayer » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:07 am

I am trying to import an event (Will + date) from an individual's information from Legacy 5 in a tree along with all the other normal information. Is this correct and how can I do this. I cannot, and am unsure how to achieve it at the moment. This is, of course, so that I can see at a glance what wills I have for what people.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:07 am

If the Will data is an Event in Legacy then all you should have to do is set the "Events" option in the main Import dialog (where you choose the root person for the tree).

You can set the format for the event data in "Options | Preferences | Import fields" where you will find the "Event" data type.

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:08 am

Thanks very much, Nick. You were exactly right. I had missed that little trick.

TonyB

Multiple Event Import

Post by TonyB » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:34 pm

I have a Gedcom file which includes multiple events against an individual which are characterised by different Event Types eg Residence1, Residence2 etc. I can show these on TreeDraw but only the last one is displayed not each one individually. How can I persuade TreeDraw to show them all?

Any help would be appreciated
Tony

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:43 pm

I assume that you are using TreeDraw Legacy Edition since the standard edition does not import events from GEDCOM and the Legacy edition does not import GEDCOM files.

All events should be imported. There is only one way (under normal circumstances) which I can think of where you would get some events imported and not others and that would be if some of the events had their "Private" flag set and the "Private records" flag in TreeDraw was left off.

If this is not the case then there may be a problem in the Legacy database which might be helped by "File | File maintenance | Check/repair".

You should also check (in TreeDraw) "Options | Preferences | Import fields | Events" to make sure that the fields which TreeDraw imports for events match the fields you are using in Legacy.

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:26 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply

I am evaluating Legacy and TreeDraw. I have the latest Legacy 6.0 Standard and TreeDraw standard 3.03 not the Legacy version.

For simplicity I created a new legacy file with a father and a son both with two entries for Residence with different data and then exported the data as a Gedcom file. I then loaded this file into Treedraw as a gedcom file after first setting Options/Preferences/Gedcom Fields and Import fields for the Gedcom Tag of Resi and attaching this to Name, Person and Child import fields.

The chart which is produced only displays the first residence entry not the second one and there is no associated error in the error log.

I tried the same with the two residences as separate events, Event/Type-Residence 1 and Event/Type- Residence 2 and again only the one event is displayed on the tree. This is more serious as there are many types of legitimate events which may be recorded against an individual.

Again can you help

Regards

Tony

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:50 pm

The problem is that these GEDCOM tags are not events in the "Legacy events" sense which allows you to have several occurrences of the same type of event for a person/family.

The GEDCOM tags which you set up in "Preferences" simply assign a single field to hold whatever data is associated with the corresponding tag. If there is more than one line in the GEDCOM file with the same tag (for a person say) then subsequent lines will overwrite the field (or be ignored depending on the GEDCOM options).

It does work the way you want it to in TreeDraw Legacy Edition.