Font displayed differs from preference setting

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Graham Hadfield

Font displayed differs from preference setting

Post by Graham Hadfield » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:15 pm

Helo Nick,

I have been using TreeDraw since version 1 and have encountered an error which I have never seen before.

I have been asked to form a chart using Arial Narrow, 12 point, Regular font for names and Script, 12 point, Regular for all other details (i.e. Person details and Marriage details).

I have set up and saved a new Preferences file with the appropriate settings. However, when I create the chart the fonts for the Names and Marriage details are OK but the font for the Person details appears to be Arial, 12 point, Regular rather than Script, 12 point, Regular.

If I select Person details in order to change the font, the pop-up box shows Script, 12 point, Regular but will not change to the correct font.

The .tdp file settings are listed below.

Could you please advise.

Regards,
Graham

[Prefs]
BoxStyle=8
BoxColor=255,255,255
BoxLineStyle=0
BoxLineWidth=0
BoxLineColor=255,255,255
ImpWrap=N
ImpAlign=1
ImpTextWidth=250
NormalLineStyle=0
NormalLineWidth=1
NormalLineColor=0,0,0
MarrLineStyle=1
MarrLineWidth=1
MarrLineColor=0,0,0
ProbLineStyle=3
ProbLineWidth=1
ProbLineColor=0,0,0
ImportFormat0=1
ImportFormat0L1=<Firstnames> <Surname>
ImportFormat1=1
ImportFormat1L1=<Firstnames> <Surname>
ImportFormat2=3
ImportFormat2L1=b. <Birth date>
ImportFormat2L2=d. <Death date>
ImportFormat2L3=<~Notes>
ImportFormat3=1
ImportFormat3L1== <Marriage date> <Marriage place>
ImportFormat4=1
ImportFormat4L1==
IgnoreBlank=Y
[NamesFont]
Name=Arial Narrow
Size=12
Colour=0,0,0
Style=
Script=0
[DetailsFont]
Name=Script
Size=12
Colour=0,0,0
Style=
Script=255
[MarriageFont]
Name=Script
Size=12
Colour=0,0,0
Style=
Script=255
[Stamp]
NoOfLines=2
Line1=This chart was prepared
Line2=using TreeDraw version 3
[Dates]
OPSep=<space>
OPFormat=6
OPZeros=N

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:40 pm

I've carried on playing around and actually managed to make the fonts display properly.

In experimenting with editing a person details field I deleted the full stop from "b." and "d." and it worked. Editing marriage details to replace the indicator "=" with "m" has no effect (i.e. the font still displays correctly as Script). However, changing the indicator to "m." creates the error.

In the example I tried I have text of "= 20 November 1803 St George's, Hanover Square" for marriage details. If I change the "=" to "m.", "Hanover Square" is displayed correctly in Script font but "= 20 November 1803 St George's," appears as Arial.

At least I have a workaround for now :)

Regards,
Graham

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:53 am

I just tried another experiment this morning, replacing "=" (as above) with "m," "m;" etc. It is only when a full stop is introduced that the problem occurs. I would guess, therefore, that it is something to do with the (Ascii?) code for a full stop which is being treated as a control character in these particular circumstances.

Graham

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:09 am

Hi Graham,

I've tried to reproduce this on several machines but I can't get it to fail.

It must be something to do with the Script font you are using. Try reinstalling the font or use a different font. OpenType or TrueType fonts work best.

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks Nick.

I understand the point about True Type/Open Type fonts. The Script font is "All res".

The thing which strikes me as strange is that it appears to be only inclusion of a full stop which seems to cause the problem. I've tried typing a similar phrase in an Open Office document and the probem did not occur.

That's why I thought the Ascii code for a full stop might be interfering with something in TreeDraw - i.e. causing problems in software designed to handle graphics but not in software designed to handle text.

I shall try some more experiments of my own when I have time.

Graham