Error message when updating preferences in Vista

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

jacquib

Error message when updating preferences in Vista

Post by jacquib » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:36 am

I have previously had a go with Treedraw on my old computer, but recently purchased new one with Vista :x & wanted to try the program again.

I would like to add "baptism" and "emigration" date & place gedcom tags to the import fields, but get this message:

ERROR. Could not rebuild the database.

I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling (including deleting the Treedraw folder under program files and another one hidden under VirtualStore), but with no success. I even re-downloaded the exe!

I am not willing to upgrade to the purchased product until I am happy that it will do what I need.

Any advice?
Thanks.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:27 pm

As well as deleting the TreeDraw and virtual-store TreeDraw folders, also delete the "C:\program files\common files\borland shared\BDE" folder (and its counterpart in the virtual-store).

skane

Problems to add additional fields from a GEDCOM file

Post by skane » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi,
I am unable to add any additional fields in my GEDCOM import. Everything I try to add one field (I follow the help instructions step-by step) for occupation it seems that the whole database is crashing?

The program tells me that "people.db" is missing an index and after that the program stops working correctly. Not possible to use the program import unless I completely uninstall the whole program.

How do I get this working correctly in Windows Vista? What is wrong?

/Olle

jacquib

Still no luck with getting Treedraw to work in Vista

Post by jacquib » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm still getting the same problems - and it seems I'm not alone.

I have now tried uninstalling Treedraw then deleting every file & folder on C: which refers to "treedraw", "spansoft" and "borland" I could find (using the advanced search to ensure I picked up any hidden/system files), re-booting then repeating this process in the registry, re-booting again at the end.

Then I have tried to re-install Treedraw - which works, to the extent that the program allows me to import gedcoms again. HOWEVER, if I try to add new fields to the import, then I get the same error messages as before, and cannot do anything more with the program until I repeat the extensive deleting process above.

I've tried this more than once, but still no luck. I can change the date format to DD MMM YYYY, but the gedcom field changes just don't seem to be supported in Vista, unfortunately.

Jacqui

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:08 am

Hi,

Please try uninstalling TreeDraw then reinstalling but when it asks you for the folder to install into, change it to "C:\TreeDraw" instead of "C:\Program files\TreeDraw". Or if you have another disk drive, install it into "D:\TreeDraw" for example.

Vista does not like any data to be updated in the "Program files" folder.

jacquib

It worked!!!

Post by jacquib » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:43 pm

Thank you Nick - your latest suggestion worked. :D
C:\Treedraw it is!

:D :D :D

skane

Same here, now it works!

Post by skane » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:45 pm

Great, the latest instruction works!
/Olle

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:38 am

This problem has been resolved in TreeDraw V3.1.6

The default location for the temporary database is now C:\TreeDraw_temp but the program is still installed into C:\Program files\TreeDraw.

From TreeDraw V3.1.5 the default location for TreeDraw charts is "My Documents\TreeDraw".

This avoids the problems caused by Vista's virtualization of files in the "Program files" folder.