File location of Charts

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

soccerchick

File location of Charts

Post by soccerchick » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:42 pm

What is the default file location for saved Charts? The first time I saved a chart it was saved in TreeDraw Legacy next to the sample file. Now it will default to Legacy / Data / 'chartname...'. Does it make any difference other than the convenience of not having to change the file location? If it should be saved in TreeDraw, how do I change the default to reflect this?

Thanks,

Kelly

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:53 am

To start with, the default location is the TreeDraw folder. If you change the location when you save a TreeDraw file, TreeDraw will remember that and offer you the new location as the default next time.

soccerchick

Post by soccerchick » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:13 am

Hmm, I have already tried saving to TreeDraw and it worked the first time. However it defaulted back to Legacy / Data the next time I tried saving. Actually, it went to Legacy when I created a new chart.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:25 am

Changing the location when you use "File | Open" will also change the location for the next "Save". The open/save location should not change when you are choosing "Legacy\Data" as the location to import data from.

soccerchick

Post by soccerchick » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:23 pm

Nick,

This is what is happening. When I first open TreeDraw and select the Open File Icon or Menu / File / Open it looks in the TreeDraw folder.

If I create a new chart either using the New Icon or Menu / New and then select the Import Icon or Menu / Import it will import from Legacy / Data as it should. When I save the chart it will save to the correct TreeDraw folder.

However, if I try and create and save any subsequent charts, it tries to save it to Legacy / Data. The only time it will save new charts to TreeDraw is if I close the program and start from the very beginning.

Help :cry:

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:33 pm

You know that you can use the "Look in" drop-down to change the save location when you use "Save"?

soccerchick

Post by soccerchick » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:07 pm

Yes I know how to change the path, and actually it would be the "Save In" drop down. However it can get pretty old having to basically re-map the save location each time.

My concern is that it keeps defaulting to save in Legacy/Data instead of the TreeDraw folder no matter how many times I change the location from Legacy/Data to TreeDraw.

I have not been having this issue within Word or Excel just in TreeDraw which leads me to believe that there is something amiss with the program.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:44 pm

Sorry, just checking.

Yes, there does seem to be an issue caused by using "File | New". The "Save" dialog appears to lose track of the last folder.

We will look into it and make a fix available.

Sorry for the inconvenience.