Acccess violation?

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

LeRoy Ferguson

Acccess violation?

Post by LeRoy Ferguson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:12 pm

I blush at noticing that I am crowding the top of the list with my serial problems. Oh well, now my ancestral trees (I do no other type) open as empty skeletons without data.

The problem started while creating a new tree and toying with Preferences>date settings. From then on Preferences got stuck, and every time I try to start again I get this notice:

"Access violation at address 00409BBB in module 'TreeDraw.exe. Write of address 333 633338"

I have no idea what this means or how to fix it.

LeRoy

LeRoy Ferguson

More clues

Post by LeRoy Ferguson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:28 pm

Here are a few more details that might shed some light on my above problem.

A rival tree program immediately on opening signals me that a file has been deleted; it's precisely the one in question.

Now I recall that at one point I pressed "delete" instead of "close" to clear the Tree Draw screen of the dataless trees.

NEVERTHELESS, that same family file opens nicely in Legacy, with all data intact. If it is missing in a special technical way, that is something beyond me.

LeRoy

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm not sure why changing the date settings should cause this error but deleting the TreeDraw.INI (configuration settings) file will reset all the options to defaults and allow you to continue.

LeRoy Ferguson

Thanks, but please bear with me...

Post by LeRoy Ferguson » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:48 am

Thanks for the advice. I was not able to locate that TreeDraw.INI file on my HD, neither manually within the T.D. folder nor through Windows Search. The good news is that today I was able to create a new tree without bringing up any error messages.

Still, Preferences (or whatever) doesn't seem just right. I say that after following related Help guidelines as far as my brain allows.

I can create line colors for my boxes but not "fill". Fill colors, however, are duly selected and seemingly accepted.

Same goes for images, which do not appear. I notice that Help suggests tagging only one picture from Legacy individual files, and this I have done, but with no result.

Finally, I don't find any limitations placed on font sizes, yet I cannot increase beyond size 12 through Import Graphics>Names>Change, etc. Manually, however, there is no problem.

Thanks in advance for your patience,

LeRoy

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:49 pm

You need to delete the TreeDraw.INI file. It will be in the TreeDraw folder. If you use Vista it will be in the equivalent folder in "\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\"

LeRoy Ferguson

Still can't locate that INI file

Post by LeRoy Ferguson » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:15 am

A double check confirms that there is no TreeDraw.INI fle in my Tree Draw folder. Here is what it contains:

-Help (indiv folder, no WIN file)
-BWCC.DLL
-Default.tdp
-GED55.gmr
-Graphics and color boxes.tdp
-Graphics.tdp
-Sample Legacy Genealogy Software
-Sample Tree Draw chart
-Sample.FG
-Sample.TC
-SKY323VC.DLL
-Span Soft (DesKtop icon)
-SS_BMSTR.DLL
-TD2CONV
-TDLegacy_EULA Rtf
-TreeDraw (applicaton - version 3.11. WIN32bit build)
-TreeDraw - Setting options
-Updater - Advanced
-Update - Setting options
-WPDF3300A.dll

A systems search also failed to turn up that file.

I have WinXP-SP2

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:50 am

It will be this one:

-TreeDraw - Setting options

Windows hides the file name extensions (.INI in this case) unless you tell it to display them.