Treedraw & PAF

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

kevinsutton1841

Treedraw & PAF

Post by kevinsutton1841 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:37 pm

Hello Peeps,
I trialed TreeDraw a few years ago and concluded (at the time) that it wasn't quite what I was looking for, however I have tried it again to look at what the new version has to offer and was ready to take the plunge when I noticed that it's not quite compatable with the Tree software I use which is PAF. Now I've been using PAF for many years and wouldn't like to change (I'm too old!) but its tree drawing facilities are left to right and I really hate that so TreeDraw would appear to be the perfect choice (Cut to the problem. Ed)
OK, It's probably something that I am doing wrong but TreeDraw seems perfectly happy with most of PAF's abbreviations like BEF (before), AFT (after), & EST (Estimated), but will totally ignore CAL (calculated) - I could probably live with that if it ignored the CAL and still showed the calculated year but it just ignores everything. The other PAF thing that treeDraw appears not to like is early month pre 1752 dates which PAF handles as (say) 01 Feb 1725/1726 but which Treedraw converts to 01 February 1725 - Not such a problem but still iritating on the few (very few) lines I have managed to get back that far.
I do hope someone is going to tell me that I simply haven't set things up right.
Kevin

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed May 23, 2007 8:58 am

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in our software.

Please ensure that you have set the option "Convert invalid dates to text" when importing the GEDCOM file. This will correctly import dates with the CAL prefix.

Unfortunately TreeDraw does not handle dual dates.

kevinsutton1841

Post by kevinsutton1841 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:12 am

Excellent!
Thanks Nick... Looks like you've just sold another item of software.
I have one further question If I may. If I don't want the Code numbers to print to the final tree, can I do that?
Kevin

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed May 23, 2007 9:30 am

Please use "Options | Preferences | Import fields" and remove the <Code> tags from the Name, Child's name and Marriage details data types.

kevinsutton1841

Post by kevinsutton1841 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:44 am

Thanks again Nick... In retrospect I should have been able to find the answer to the first query myself, however I don't think I could have found this one on my own!
Kevin