TreeDraw

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Johnco

TreeDraw

Post by Johnco » Tue May 01, 2007 10:19 am

I have been using TreeDraw V2.02 for many years now but have thought of up-grading to the latest V3.

Being able to turn the family trees into PDF files is exactly what I would like to do.

However, I have many very large family trees that I have produced over the years and the trial version of TreeDraw V3 won't import or open any of them.

I get the error messages - "Could not open a V2.02 chart file" follwed by "Could not open file" when I try. Also, there's no reason given as to why it can't open them so I don't know what to do. Version 2 picks them up perfectly.

There's no indication, on the Spansoft website, that the full registered version will open or import them nor is there any mention anywhere of any conversion software being available (as there was from V1 to V2).

Can you help me, please as I would like to up-grade so I can put my trees, finally, on the web! What's the problem and how do I overcome it?

Thanks in advance,

John

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue May 01, 2007 12:24 pm

Sorry for the confusion.

TreeDraw V3 should have told you that you could not open V2 charts because you cannot do that with the trial version. When registered, TreeDraw V3 will open V2 charts.

Clearly there is a bug in V3 which is stopping the warning message. We will look into it.

Johnco

Post by Johnco » Tue May 01, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks Nick,

It's a pity that I couldn't have tried just one conversion of a TDR to a PDF file. I have some very big drawings and it would have been nice to have seen them converted.

However, that's not to be!

Thanks again,

John

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri May 04, 2007 12:23 pm

We have investigated this problem and found that TreeDraw is correctly declining to open a V2 chart file when the program has not been registered.

The problem you had was that when you received the message "Could not open a V2.02 chart file", you should have clicked on the "More info" button to get an explanation of the error.

Graham Hadfield

Post by Graham Hadfield » Wed May 09, 2007 6:46 pm

Johnco wrote:It's a pity that I couldn't have tried just one conversion of a TDR to a PDF file. I have some very big drawings and it would have been nice to have seen them converted.
Just found this thread because we've been on holiday.

If it's any help, John, I've created several large charts for customers which I've converted to PDF. All have been fine.

Graham