Cannot Update some Treedraw File

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Tomango

Cannot Update some Treedraw File

Post by Tomango » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:00 pm

I find that I cannot update one of my treedraw files. all others update fine and the preferences/options are sthe same for all. The file size of the .TDR I am having trouble with is 42,169KB, becaue I have been adding .JPG data to pictures.
Have I reached some file size limit? As the smaller files update correctly I can only assume this is the case.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:17 pm

It is possbile that your system is running low on resources with such a big file. Try turning off "Options | Preferences | Appearance | Display images" and see if it helps.

Does the TreeDraw chart open OK? Is it just "Edit | Update" and/or the auto-update that you are having problems with? If so, what happens when you try these?

Tomango

Post by Tomango » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:46 am

I have tried the options you suggested, the tree does not update either automatically or manually.
I have tried importing a new tree from K&K and this is fully updated.
I wanted to update the existing tree as I have spent a lot of time updating the layout to facilitate printing, I could start again.
I have removed the pictures completely and now the file size is 49K for the modified layout, and 47K for the unmodified layout, but the modified layout will still not update either automatically or manually. This seems a little Strange perhaps as there should be less data in the modified layout tree as there is less imported data from K&K.
Options/Preferences/file settings are identical for both trees.
Would it help to solve the problem if I were to send both .TDR files via email to you?

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:57 am

You do understand that the update function only works on text which already exists in the chart? If you have added new people to K&KPro they will not appear in an existing chart by using the update function. What you have to do is import the new people into the chart as if they were a small tree.

Tomango

Post by Tomango » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:03 pm

Sorry I did not understand this. I thought that treedraw read the K&K data, compared the existing treedraw file and added data from K&K.
That answers it then, sorry if I led you up the garden path.
regards