Problems importing data

TreeDraw Standard Edition and TreeDraw Legacy Edition; our genealogy charting software.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

kathyinottawa

Problems importing data

Post by kathyinottawa » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:29 am

I'm a new TreeDraw Legacy user and while I'm fairly computer literate I'm getting frustated with the program at this point.

I've read other messages in the forum, have at least scanned the help files but things aren't working out as they should.

I went through the steps to import a file. I first went to Legacy and created a sub-set of the file just including decendants of Robert Wallace. That is a file with 154 people, 52 families and 10 generations. Is it just too large? The program seems to be processing and then the box with "This chart was prepared with TreeDraw Version 3".. appears -- giving the stats listed above.

In the line at the bottom I see 'selected 142' but I don't have a tree - just red lines.

I then tried again with fewer generations 94 people, 34 families and 7 generations and did get a chart finally. What are the limitations in terms of size?

I see that the data imported is more extensive than I'd expected. I have both birth and christening for example. Is that something that I have to exclude in the export? This is going to take some time....

Kathy

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:46 pm

Please check the settings in "Options | Preferences | Import graphics | Fonts" to make sure that the font colours are set correctly and that there is something in the format boxes of "Options | Preferences | Import fields".

kathyinottawa

Problems importing data

Post by kathyinottawa » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:38 pm

I had checked those previously - although I'm still not completely clear on all of the points. I'll have to read more in the help file I guess.

I tried the import again and have different results but did get a tree for the descendants of Robert Wallace. I told the system that I didn't need the stats so am not sure if the numbers are precisely the same. At the bottom of the screen it now says selected 141 rather than 142.

I still don't see how I can avoid getting data that I don't want on the chart pulled in. I did use
Options
Preferences
Import fields
and I tried to tell the system not to pick up the christening date/place and the burial date/place but the information still came over. It would take a lot of time to manually have to remove it from the resulting tree.

Suggestions appreciated.

Kathy

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:52 am

If you wish to exclude christening and death data and just have the birth and death data then "Options | Preferences | Import fields | Person details" should look something like this:

b. <BirthD> <'LocationBirth>
d. <DeathD> <'LocationDeath>