"citation table: dataset not in edit or insert mode&quo

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

pamdavies

"citation table: dataset not in edit or insert mode&quo

Post by pamdavies » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:31 am

I was adding a new source document, tried to close it, got the above error message ("citation table: dataset not in edit or insert mode"). Clicking on "OK" got me out of the message, but I still couldn't close the record. I tried to edit the doc record and got "Citation table: cannot perform this operation on a closed dataset".

Eventually I closed down K&KPro using ctrl-alt-del. Reopened it, and found that the data item I was editing was now linked to a totally different source document, and there was no sign of the new doc I was creating.

I've removed the link, added the new doc, all looks OK.

3 questions: - do I need to check any further for corrupted data?
Can I prevent it happening again?
Is there a way out, short of ctrl-alt-del, if it happens again?

I've recently moved to a new PC with XP for the first time, and reinstalled K&KPro apparently without trouble - just one weird thing is that the "this is the first time you've used K&K" screen comes up every time I start the program (but didn't do so just now when I experimentally closed it down and reopened it to be able to cite the exact name of the tutorial window!).

Can you help?

Pam

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:40 pm

Please make sure that you have clicked on the "Update" button in the family or person form before you add a source reference.

Please use "File | Database | Pack" to rebuild the corrupt database indices.

If the program hangs up again there is nothing you can do except Ctrl+Alt+Del.

pamdavies

Post by pamdavies » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Thanks, Nick - have done the "Pack" and will try to remember the point about Updating before adding sources.

Pam