K & K DATA BASE

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

BRIAN

K & K DATA BASE

Post by BRIAN » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:31 pm

Sometime ago I had a corrupt Databbase which luckily was backed up on a CD. Since then I have always kept 2 Data bases. However it is a bit tiresome when you are inputting new information of some length to have to input it onto 2 Databases. Is there anyway you can COPY the new information staight from one Database to the oter simply without having to delete one of the Database's and then copying the master as a new data base. It would behandy if you could select a Family and do a straight copy to update the other.

Also as probably everyone using Kith and Kin are researching their Family Tree so would it be posibble that somewhere ie Profile that we could give the name(s) of the family(s) we are lookig for with a brief outline say town-date something like that so as maybe other users may be carrying out a search for the same family thus information could be swapped, just a idea.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:59 am

Much better just to copy the entire database after you have finished editing it.

You can even use the traditional "son, father, grandfather" method for backing up where you actually have 3 copies of the master database, each being replaced in rotation by a new copy of the master.

This is best done outside of K&KPro after you have closed K&KPro down.

BRIAN

SON, FATHER, GRANDFATHER

Post by BRIAN » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:30 pm

NICK,

Thanks for your reply to my query re updating more than 1 database. Alas as I am 68 I am not all that computer literate and do not understand your suggestion re THE TRADITIONAL METHOD OF SON, FATHER and GRANDFATHER. If it is not to complicated, would welcome more information on what this means.

Regards

Brian Smithson

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:40 am

For anyone who does not know about this - this is the standard way of organizing any backups.

First time, just copy the database - call it "Backup 1".
Next time, copy the database to "Backup 2".
Next time, copy the database to "Backup 3".

Now you have 3 copies of the master database - the most recent is currently "Backup 3".

But now you make some more changes to the master database. You finish and make a backup copy - this time you copy it to "Backup 1" replacing the oldest backup.

Next time you replace "Backup 2" as it is now the oldest copy.

And so on.

This way you always have 2 backup backups in case the most recent backup is not viable.