feature suggestion - timeline grid

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Richard Johnston

feature suggestion - timeline grid

Post by Richard Johnston » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:50 pm

Hi again Nick,

I thought of this idea last night and was wondering what you and the forum thought of it.

I know the tree field is very big and doesn't really direct where to place each familky. I try to put all the parents a few inches above the kids and so on, but could there be a way to have a click on/off timeline running vertically along the left side of the sceen (one that moves where you do on the tree) that we could then position the marriage dates of the families within.

As part of this, maybe on the listing of the marriages in the family rectangle we have the marriage date as well. (I know you can right click for this info, but its not an option to the family rectangle to display) It would be great if K&K could then "snap to grid" the marriages in a timeline...then you could actually see the progression of the generations more clearly

..it would then be another quick reference guide for when familiies started as well

All my families rectangles obviouly move up as the generations go back in time, but sometimnes you get 3-4 generations of young parents and at the same time 2-3 generations in another branch (older parents) but they are on corresponding horizontal planes ...so when you look at corresponding grandparents one was married in 1940, the other 1899. I know this isn't a big deal, but I think it would be another great addition to a great program

any thoughts..I hope I explained it well enough

Richard J.

laschapas

Tree Area Timeline Grid

Post by laschapas » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:08 am

Hi Richard & Nick,

I agree with your idea. I use the snap to grid feature on the tree area and place families married on the same decade on the same horizontal line. So if parents marry in the 1860s and the children marry in the 1880s, the childrens' families are two grid lines below the parents. To identify the grid lines I have dummy families with surnames like 1860 at the extreme left of the tree area. The grid line spacing has to be set to a resonable level before you start placing families, something like 200 to 400, depending on screen resolution.

John

Richard Johnston

comment from Nick?

Post by Richard Johnston » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:29 am

Hi again

Nick...any comment here on this idea...

R.

xxup

Post by xxup » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:46 am

I like this idea as some branches of my family bred quicky (ie 20 year generations), while other branches have a 30-40 year generation... A vertical timeline grid of (say) 20 years would be good... Let's face it - if you are serious about this stuff you probablty already have an A3 size printer to print out your tree/s.. :shock: