Putting a database on a home network

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Richard Brown

Putting a database on a home network

Post by Richard Brown » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:37 am

Is there any way I can put a K&K database onto the network I have at home?

I run into difficulties because the open database window only seems to let you open databases which have an address which begins with C. I need to be able to open one which starts with the name of one of the computers on my network. I am using XP on all my machines.

Richard

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:37 am

Yes you can; but be aware that the database engine is not multiuser so trying to access a database from more than one PC at once might cause unexpected results.

You should store your K&KPro databases in a shared folder on one of the PCs. In "File | Database | Open" you need to enter the "Root database folder" manually (without using the Browse button). The folder path will be something like "\\HostPC\net shared\KKData"; where "HostPC" is the network name of the PC where the databases are stored and "net shared" is the name of the shared folder as it appears on the client PCs. You can use Windows Explorer to get the correct folder path on one of the client PCs, the path will appear in the address line at the top.

Richard Brown

Post by Richard Brown » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:38 am

Nick,

Thanks for this. Following your advice exactly did not work for me but I was successful with a slight varient. I put "\\Host PC" in the database root folder cell and then "net shared" in the database name.

Cheers,

Richard