Cannot write the DB.INI file - Renaming databases

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Frank Dunne

Cannot write the DB.INI file - Renaming databases

Post by Frank Dunne » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:20 am

Nick
Apologies for two queries over two days.

In regard to renaming databases within Of that Ilk. I understand from the menus and Help file that it is necessary to make the database the current one in order to change the name so the process is not the problem.

When I attempted to change a name this morning I got a dialog box that essentially told me that the program could not write to ? ? DB.ini.

The program then became totally hung. Rebooting the machine and invoking Of that Ilk gave me a blank tree background and the program aborted itself and returned me to the desktop.

How have I misinterpreted the instructions.

I don't have a problem with the process of renaming as I found a work around was to copy the database with the name I wanted and then open the "new" name database.

Just intrigued as to why I can't seem to accomplish what the program offers as a simple operation.

Reards

Frank

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:20 am

There are several reasons why IlkPro would be unable to create or rename a particular file such as DB.INI. These are all the usual operating system restrictions such as low disk space, file already exists, folder is read-only, etc. Only by checking for each of these conditions and corecting them would you be able to allow IlkPro to proceed.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:20 am

Nick

Thanks for the advice - the read-only parameter strikes a chord in my memory as I had archived one of the databases some time ago.

Will investigate to find the problems.

Regards

Frank