Privacy when publishing Kith and Kin to the web

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Peter Rawbone

Privacy when publishing Kith and Kin to the web

Post by Peter Rawbone » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Some people believe that I shouldn't include persons who are alive as it could lead to fraud theft etc.

What is the general opinion concerning publishing photographs of living people?

donne

Post by donne » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:11 am

Most genealogical advice I've read on publishing is that data on living people should not be included without their permission. The opposite view is that all BMD data is available to the public anyway. My personal opinion is that I would want to avoid offending living relatives by unwanted publication and I certainly try to restrict the webpages produced by KKPro V2 to those families without living family members - not always easy if the generations don't line up in age terms. Some web-based genealogical programs restrict general access to data on persons deemed to be still living. It would be useful if the web export function on later versions of KKPro could have a similar privacy option.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:59 am

We will be including a much stricter privacy option in the Web export feature of Kith and Kin Pro V3.

The user will be able to select "Hide living people" which will completely exclude all details of people not flagged as dead in the database. If one or both spouses are living, the family details (marriage date, etc) will be omitted and if one or more parents or children are living, all family details including notes, sources and pictures will be omitted.