'Key violation' message

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

donne

'Key violation' message

Post by donne » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:12 am

I get a key violation message when I try to use the 'remove duplicates, family' tool. The message occurs when I select the family to merge and then click delete. I've tried the usual fixes of 'pack' and run the 'Borland Fix' utility which reports no errors in the tables. What else can I do, please?

Roger Donne

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:19 pm

You should try rebuilding the tables in the Borland database fix utility even if it validates them with no errors. Unfortunately the utility sometimes fixes errors which it cannot find!

donne

Post by donne » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:06 am

I rebuilt all the tables with the Fix utility, but the original problem still remains. I notice that I have different family numbers, F427 and F430 as it happens, but each containing the same parents P1704 and P1705. Could that be causing the problem? Maybe I should just delete the unwanted version of the family.

Roger Donne

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:39 am

The "Remove duplicates | Families" function should work OK if you have the same parents in each family. It must be some other feature of one of the families which is causing the problem, maybe one of the sources for example.

It may be simpler for you just to delete one of the families if you are sure that you won't be losing any data.

donne

Post by donne » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks, Nick I decided to delete the unwanted family in this case after manually transferring the children not represented in the version of the family to be retained. I suppose I could have done this to start with, but normally I find the 'Remove duplicates' tool works well and is very useful in tidying up the database.

Roger Donne