V2.11- cannot find Database/Delete

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Locked
donne
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

V2.11- cannot find Database/Delete

Post by donne » Fri May 25, 2007 11:17 pm

Delete seems to be missing from my File/Database menu although the Help file says it should be there just like in V2.0. Also, before, when I manually deleted a database via Windows Explorer, it automatically disappeared from the list of databases available. In my installation of 2.11 the name of the deleted database still seems to persist in the database list, although throwing up an error when I try to open the missing database. Has V2.11 installed incorrectly?

Nick Hunter
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Nick Hunter » Sat May 26, 2007 8:44 am

It looks like this may be a bug. We will look into it and release an update.

Nick Hunter
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Nick Hunter » Tue May 29, 2007 9:06 am

This bug was fixed in version 2.1.2

Please use "Help | Check for updates" in K&KPro to install the latest version.

donne
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by donne » Thu May 31, 2007 12:47 pm

I've downloaded V2.12 and this has restored the Delete function. However, I'm still not sure that it's working as it should. For example, I export a selection of families to a database called 'Ancestors'. I export another, updated, selection to 'Ancestors1'. Because I don't want to proliferate these temporary files, I delete and manually remove 'Ancestors' from folder 'Data', and check that it disappears from the list of databases. However, when I try to use Database/Change Name, to change the name of 'Ancestors1' to 'Ancestors', I get a message "Unable to change folder name etc". In fact, Database/Change Name gives me the same error message when I put in any other name, even one not previously used.

Nick Hunter
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu May 31, 2007 4:12 pm

Are you sure that the "Ancestors" folder has really been deleted? If the folder remains (even if it is empty) then K&KPro will not allow you to do a Rename to a folder which already exists.

donne
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by donne » Thu May 31, 2007 5:37 pm

I am sure that the folder is gone, since I manually deleted it from 'Data' using Windows Explorer and checked that it was no longer showing. As I said, I also find that I can't use 'Change name' to rename 'Ancestors1' to anything else. I tried renaming it to 'Dummy', which I'm sure I've never used before, with exactly the same result. By the way, in case it's relevant, I'm running under Windows XP.

Regards:
Roger Donne

Nick Hunter
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu May 31, 2007 6:28 pm

Thanks. There does seem to be a problem with changing a database name under WinXP. We will look into it.

Locked