Migrating source references?

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

Locked
donne
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Migrating source references?

Post by donne » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:59 pm

As I have been checking my source references, I've noticed that several seem to have become mis-associated. In particular, some 'birth' source references now appear to be linked to 'general' source references; in some cases they even seem to be linked to the wrong indivdual. This was fairly obvious to me since I very rarely find a use for 'general' source references, so I don't think it's simply a case of erroneous data entry.

I suspect that the references became mis-associated when I have used the database 'fix utility' and 'pack' to overcome database errors, as comes up in this forum from time to time. It is worrying that there may be other errors lurking in the database, which are not so obvious to me.

Can you advise whether this sort of database error can be generated by the use of the fix/pack tools? If so, is there a systematic way of finding these errors?

Regards: Roger Donne

Nick Hunter
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:36 am
Location: SpanSoft, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Nick Hunter » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:59 am

I certainly seems odd that the source records could become associated with other fields/records. The source records are keyed by the RecordType, RecordCode and FieldName fields so I would not expect these to change.

What may be more likely is that the problem which required you to do a Pack or Fix also caused the corruption in the source records.

There is no method for checking source references.

donne
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by donne » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:34 am

Thanks for that. It's a relief to know that Pack/Fix can't generate errors. I naively imagined that the Pack command may cause the data to shuffle down and become misaligned! I certainly had some previous problems with the sources table which I had to put right with Pack/Fix, so possibly that's where the corruption occurred, as you say. Hopefully no other parts of the database will be affected.
Regards: Roger Donne

Locked