Unable to start KK pro

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

g.thayre

Unable to start KK pro

Post by g.thayre » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:23 am

I have been using KK pro for several years with no problems, until now. I haven't used the program for several months and when I attempted to start it the program would sometimes start but with the error msg operation inapplicable. At other times the program wouldn't start at all. I tried uninstalling but found that it wouldn't uninstal. I re-installed over the old with out success. I have tried repairing the data base with the supplied utility, also without success. I have tried changing the default database to the 'sample' one but still get the same error msg. I am using XP pro. Please HELP!

g.thayre

Further inf.

Post by g.thayre » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:29 am

I am also getting error msg 'cannot perform this operation on a closed dataset'

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:05 pm

It's hard to say what the problem might be.

If it is in the options file then deleting KithKinP.INI will help.

If it is the database engine then deleting the folder C:\Program files\Common files\Borland shared\BDE will help.

g.thayre

Still no luck

Post by g.thayre » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:31 am

I've tried both suggestions but w/o success. I have been thinking about this and the only major change I've made to my system is to install MS Office 2007 beta. I was wondering if there is an issue with this app. I don't want to uninstall Office at this stage any further suggestions would be much apprecited.
Thanks

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:45 pm

Other users have reported a problem with the Beta version of Office 2007 which affects the BDE.

I suggest that you uninstall Office 2007 and report the bug to Microsoft.

g.thayre

MS Office 2007

Post by g.thayre » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:06 am

Nick, I've uninstalled Office 2007 Beta and now KKpro is working as it did before. The only difference to my system was this uninstallation, so I think we can be confident that Office 2007 Beta is the problem.
Thanks for your assistance. :D