Problems importing Gedcom files

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

GAIL

Problems importing Gedcom files

Post by GAIL » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:53 pm

HELP!!!!
I have just tried to import Gedcom files created from data on my pocket pc and they don't work properly.
1. One database has shown up with all the families on top of one another in no partical order.
2. on the other database the children in a family are not set up eldest to youngest like they appear on my pocket pc genealogy program.
Can anyone help as it is going to be a long job to sort out and I don't want to have to do this every time I update the databases in Kith and Kin. Also can any one tell me how I update a Kith and Kin database without having to create a new one every time.
Thanks Gail

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:11 am

K&KPro will only arrange the imported families with the earliest generation at the top and the latest at the bottom. There is no attempt to organize the display any better than that.

K&KPro imports the children in the same order as they appear in the GEDCOM file. If the order is wrong in the GEDCOM file then the order will be wrong in K&KPro. You can use the "Auto-sort children" feature after the data is in K&KPro by opening each family in turn, make some dummy change to the data and click the "Update" button. "Options | Preferences | Options | Sort children and marriages" must be turned on.

There is no way of synchronizing the data on your Pocket PC and K&KPro. If all your modifications are carried out on the Pocket PC then my suggestion would be to create a new database and import the entire GEDCOM to K&KPro each time.