Help! Can't start K&K

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

pamdavies

Help! Can't start K&K

Post by pamdavies » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:54 pm

Earlier today I opened up K&K, added a bit of data to update a record, closed it down. It's possible that I did something daft like switched off computer before K&K and everything else had closed down, but I don't remember doing so! Everything appeared to be working OK.

Now, when I click on the K&K icon, or when I open up c:/Program Files/Kith and Kin Pro/ and double-click on KithKinP.exe or I right-click on it and click "Open", there's a moment when a new window seems to flash onto the screen and then nothing happens.

I'm running under Windows XP. I've tried restarting my PC. Other programs seem to be working OK.

Any suggestions, please?

Pam

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Probably K&KPro is confused about the database it is supposed to open when it starts up.

The easiest way to fix it is to delete a folder called "C:\Program files\Common files\Borland shared\BDE" and then reinstall K&KPro from the CD. This will force the database engine to use the sample database when K&KPro opens.

pamdavies

Post by pamdavies » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:37 am

Thanks Nick... but only partial success.

I did as you said, and K&K opened up OK, with the sample database.

But when I tried to open my own database, I get an error message "Error opening K&Kpro database ...". That's when trying to open the database I was updating yesterday.

I tried opening another large database (husband's family), and it seems to open OK.

How can I rescue my main database?

Pam

pamdavies

Post by pamdavies » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:02 am

Further...

I've tried using the Borland Database Fix Utility, going through each of the main files within my database (aliases.db etc), clicking on Verify, and it has found no problems.

Pam

donne

Post by donne » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:23 pm

I had minor corruption of a database, in which 'sources' was not working properly. I found that Verify in the Fix Utility indicated that all was OK, but I chose to Fix anyway, and that seemed to cure the problem. Good luck with recovering your database!