Using Search and/or Query

The old version of our genealogy database program.

Moderator: Nick Hunter

geordielad

Using Search and/or Query

Post by geordielad » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:14 am

I have been unable to work out how to search for the titles of the notes that can be put in the people & family databases.

For example I have titles such as:
Address, where I can place all the different addresses of a person or family. and
Occupation for the differnt occupations over a persons lifetime (the box given is too small to be of use a lot of the time.

However If I want to search for all people with occupations given I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Chris Arnold (geordielad) living in New Zealand.

Nick Hunter

Post by Nick Hunter » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:35 pm

The query you need is:

SELECT *
FROM Notes
WHERE Description = "Occupation"

However, that probably won't help you much because you can't view the actual notes in a query. You need to use "Search | Text search" option for that.

The best way would be to add an Occupation field to "Options | User fields | Person", the length of the field can be up to 255 characters. Then you can use the Query function to:

SELECT *
FROM People
WHERE Occupation = "<the occupation you're looking for>"

geordielad

Post by geordielad » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:28 am

Thanks Nick. The query code was what I wanted.

I have tried using the default occupation field with a longer length but it means that a lot of the information is hidden at any time. I even tried using two fields Occupation & Occupation 2 to give me twice the visible area but it got very messy to use.

Unfortunately the visible text area is fixed. I can neither widen the window, and with it the visible text area, nor can I specify more than 1 line. (Suggestions for the next release :-) )

Cheers
Chris Arnold NZ